Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 15:16:07 -0400
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        FreeBSD Audit List <freebsd-audit@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Portmapper enabled, IPv6 circumvents FW

Hi,

I'm wondering whether this is appropriate for the audit list:

1. Portmapper is enabled by default on freshly installed FreeBSD 4.0
   systems. I think this is undesirable for security reasons.

2. The GENERIC kernel has IPv6 enabled by default and interfaces
   automatically assign themselves link-local IPv6 addresses.

   This is a problem because people will generally be unaware of
   the fact that IPFW does not filter IPv6 addresses. Setting up
   a strict firewall using IPFW therefore leaves you open for
   attacks via link-local IPv6.

   An extra nuisanse is that FreeBSD does not provide a kernel
   module for IP6FW.

I'd suggest disabling the portmapper in a default installation
unless there is a good reason not to.

Another solution is to add a comment to /etc/inetd.conf because
that's what people usually edit on new systems (because FreeBSD
*still* runs ftpd and telnetd by default).

For IPv6 there is a number of potential solutions. I'd be most happy
if interfaces did not assign themselves IPv6 addresses unless and
until they are requested to do so.

Opinions?

Cheers,
Jeroen