Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 13:22:05 -0700
From:      Neil Bliss <nbliss@mvista.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disklabel(8) correction?

Once upon a time, Terry Lambert, then known as tlambert2, said...
> Michael Lucas wrote:
> > # man disklabel
> >      Disklabel installs, examines or modifies the label on a disk drive or
> >      pack.
> >      ^^^^^
> >
> > I understand that pack is very old terminology.  Should it even be in
> > the man page these days?  (Discussion on IRC said no, but email is the
> > "official forum" for discussing such things.)
> >
> > I'll get it fixed if not.
>
> How do you refer to "removable fixed disk media"?
>
> I guess we can call it "cartridge", which is what Syquest calls
> them.  What does IBM call them?  I'm pretty sure IOmega calls
> them "Zip disks" and "JAZ drive removable media".
>
> IMO, "pack" is as good a single word generic term as any.

I've generally seen "volume" used as a generic storage term.  To my mind, a
"pack" refers to a few disks in some sort of an enclosure.

--
Neil Bliss - Monta Vista Technical Support
Yow!-Zippy-says: Our father who art in heaven..  I sincerely pray that SOMEBODY