Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:43:29 +0100
From:      Oliver Schonefeld <oschonef@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
To:        Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stable Isn't, for VLB 486

Hello!

Eines schoenen Tages schrieb Dave Tweten:
> 	ahc0: <Adapted 284X SCSI adapter> at 0x8c00-0x8cff, irq 10 (edge)
> 	ahc0: on eisa0 slot 8
>

> 	Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
[registers snipped]
> 	panic: page fault

Same thing here!

Looks like this has been adresseed in current, or at least there is
something written about it.

> CVS log for src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/ahc_eisa.c

1.19 Mon Jan 22 21:03:46 2001 UTC by gibbs

ahc_eisa.c:
        Initialize rid to 0.  This doesn't seem to make any difference
        (the driver doesn't care what rid it gets and no-one seems to
        check rid's value), but follows standard conventions.

        Pass in our device_t to ahc_alloc().  We now use device_T
        softc storage, so passing NULL results in a panic.

        Set the unit number in our softc so that the driver core
        can retrieve it.

My DDB traceback, which i have not handy right now has something with
ahc_alloc and softc in it. I can reproduce this, if someone needs the
traceback. I haven't had the time to investigate any further.

> Help!  (Please)

4.2-RELEASE works, at least for me, without any problem.

Regards,
Oliver