Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 2002 13:39:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Kosta K <kosta_k@phreaker.net>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gnome2 and write permissions?

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Kosta K wrote:

> Does anyone have any idea how come the following is occuring?
>
> could not resolve address
> "xml:readonly:/usr/X11R6/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" in the
> configuration file
>  "/usr/X11R6/etc/gconf/2/path": Couldn't resolve address for
> configuration source: Can't read from or write to XML root directory in
> address 'xml:readonly:/usr/X11R6/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory'
>
> ??
> I sent an email to the list before, haven't seen anyone comment on it.
>
> ANY help in getting back my settings woudl be appreciated.  Even if
> someone told me where my old icons, etc are gone...

I'm not sure why you're seeing this error.  I have never seen it on any of
the three machines on which I've installed GNOME 2.0.  I looked at my
/usr/X11R6/etc/gconf/2/path file, and it does reference a readonly XML
source of /usr/X11R6/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory.  This directory does
exist, and has permissions 0755 owned by root:wheel.  The only file in the
directory is the .keep_me file from gnomehier.  You might also want to
check that each parent directory has permissions allowing you to read and
search directories.

I'm also not sure why your settings are gone.  All local settings should
be stored in ~/.gconf and ~/.gconf2.  Make sure those directories grant
you read-write access, and that all files are owned by your user id.

Joe