Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 13:57:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't see Raidon Compaq DL380

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Mike Smith wrote:

> You just need to define one or more logical drives; after that, they'll
> show up on the SCSI bus as though they were SCSI devices.

The reason I asked is because "easy install"(?) has options to configure
the raid for different OSs and Linux is one of them.

> You don't say whether the kernel with the ciss driver loaded actually
> detected the controller,

If I am botting of an install disk how would I see this?

> If the people actually doing the install still want FreeBSD on
> the machine, I'd be happy to help out, but I'm going to need more
> information than that.

I talked to the network manager and he is Ok with trying this. They don't
particularly care whether it is FreeBSD or Red hat. They just want the OS
to see the disks.

I am basically the one trying to suggest FreeBSD since I have been using
for years and can help them. If they go with Linux they won't have any
'in-house' knowledge or person who can help (in-house).

If you tell me what you need to know I will get the info.
My only lack of experience on this is using a custom kernel and not
having devices recognized from the get go. In particular you mentioned
that you wanted to know if the OS saw the controller, but I don't know how
I would go about checking that.

Right now what I have done is to prepare a kernel with CISS driver on
another machine. Put the prepared kernel on the kernel floppy and then try
a custom install from within the /stand/sysinstall that comes up.