Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 19:11:02 +0800 (WST)
From:      satherrl <satherrl@isntas01.curtin.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help - need bandwidth for short messages

Hello all,

        I have a cluster of Compaq PC's all running FreeBSD-stable and I am
looking for tips on how to boost network performance. I've applied tuning(7)
suggestions and done whatever I can with the kernel but testing with
netpipe (from benchmarks) shows bad performance for messages below about
10K in length. Are there any suggestions? It's a problem because the cluster
software exachanges many short control messages and uses TCP exclusively.

I have results of netpipe in ftp://www.is.curtin.edu.au/pub/Bandwidth.gif if
anyone is interested in having a look. The bandwidth is measured between two
CompaQ EN's with Intel 100/10B NIC's (to replace built in NIC's) through a
Netgear FS116 100Mbps switch.

                Regards Richard