Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 00:53:55 +0100
From:      pb@fasterix.freenix.org (Pierre Beyssac)
To:        osiris2002@yahoo.com (Charlie Roots)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yesterday's CVSUP HATES mount_msdosfs ??

Charlie Roots writes:
> Yesterday's '6-jan-98' Kernel does not boot properly if I use an entry
> in /etc/fstab to mount and msdos file system, and enters 'kernel
> debug' mode.

Yes, it's a known problem and work is being done on it, AFAIK.  It
doesn't happen if you mount the MSDOS partitions later "by hand"
(or you might try a script that waits a few seconds after booting
everything).

The bug might be fixed by John Dyson's latest patches (they're in
the latest CTM delta), though I haven't tried the MSDOS fs since
them.

> The question, Is there a new change in mount_msdos code that is
> causing this, or should I mount VFAT (aka FAT32, WIN95) partitions
> using another 'unknown to me' command ?

Anyway, I seem to remember from recent discussions here that VFAT
is not supported in the MSDOS fs code in FreeBSD...
--
Pierre Beyssac	      pb@fasterix.frmug.org pb@fasterix.freenix.org
{Free,Net,Open}BSD, Linux : il y a moins bien, mais c'est plus cher