Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 1996 09:28:03 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: Which tools can back up inodes with 32bit minor numbers ?

As Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> Which if any utils. are available for use in a script to do local backup of
> directories that have 32bit minor /dev numbers ? Any ? None ?

> dump:
>   doesnt accept a directory specifier of /dev (I dont want whole FS archived)

But dump of course _does_ the right thing in backing them up.

(You will get /dev into a separate file system anytime soon.  But i
doubt you will have any need to include it into a backup then. :-)

> tar:

broken

> cpio: also could not archive large minors,

cpio works, with the ``newer'' formats (-H crc, -H newc)

You forgot:

pax:

Dunno, i think it inherits the restrictions depending on the archive
format used.  Thus, it should work with the same cpio formats as cpio
does.

--
cheers, J"org