Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:07:41 +0000
From:      James Seward <jamesoff@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fbsd-amd64 desktop

On 1/27/06, Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org> wrote:
> On Friday 27 January 2006 10:03, Ken Gunderson wrote:
> > I've only run fbsd-amd64 on servers.  My favorite server ports all
> > work great but not sure about status of desktop related stuff.  For
> > example, I know OpenOffice has issues.  Any other gotchas I should know
> > about?

FreeBSD6/amd64 worked fine for me on my desktop using GNOME, firefox,
and some other bits and pieces. As mentioned previously, win32-codecs
doesn't work so you'll be unable to play some formats (like WMV).
nvidia-driver doesn't work on amd64 either.

I recently switched back to 6-RELEASE/i386 on that machine from
6-STABLE/amd64 because recent kernels (after the beginning of
November) couldn't see any of my disks at boot time. I haven't tried
recent i386 kernels yet because I haven't had time, and the lack of
response to the problem I had on amd64 disheartened me :( (Including a
PR that seemingly got ignored.)

amd64 was fine and stable and stuff, but I need i386 for a couple of
things that aren't available otherwise.

/JMS