Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 1996 11:05:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Grrr. NFS to a Sun (Slowaris 5.5.1)

> > What I dont understand is if no one is working on NFS, how is it going
> > downhill?   I mean, cant we just revert back to the NFS that was in 0612, it
> > seemed to work very well.
>
> I think it's more a question of dependencies.  You don't need to
> change *anything* in the NFS code to make it break, after all, there
> being so many other things it depends on which can change.

GHAH.

It is time to once and for frigging all deine a VFS bottom end for
interfacing to the system.

I suggest that the interfaces should be macrotized, the expected
behaviour documented, and then any VM changes that take place must
provide macrotized equivalents.

We can then version the interfaces, as necessary, seperately from
versioning the VM and other fast moving systems, and we can include
"better" interfaces for a given VM when we are permitted to make
cross-FS changes (presumably, this will one day be permitted after
the Lite2 integration that NetBSD and OpenBSD completed shortly
after the Lite2 release, more than a year ago).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.