Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 03:33:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XFree86-3.3, FBSD-2.2.2 & ViRGE/VX

On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I seem to remember reading on the -questions mailing list that
> > XFree86-3.3 was not fully supported on the FreeBSD 2.2.2-R
> > system.
>
> It's not the default XFree86 for it, but it's more than usable with
> 2.2.2.  I don't know who told you it wasn't supported.

One or two letters from -questions that mentioned the recent CD
releases, and how XFree86 on those releases were optimized for
the current branch. I may have misinterpreted those letters.

> > My question is, Is there anything specific to FreeBSD 2.2.2-R
> > that needs to be changed to best run XFree86-3.3; such as
>
> Nope.

Thank you. Had to ask.

> > The reason I'm asking, is that while 3.3 runs fine on this system,
> > the XF86_SVGA server fails to restart after the first 'startx'
> > session is closed on a freshly booted system. (running startx
> > a second time results on a frozen keyboard and a blank screen).
>
> That's weird - I can't say that I've seen this happen with my own
> XF86_SVGA server (running 2.2-stable).

I'm still looking around here for clues. It's a SCSI setup, might
just be a bad cable. Or as the IBM UltraStar manual says, the
screws might be too long, causing a short.

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com

  FreeBSD   2.2.2-R