Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 1997 07:39:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Frank Seltzer <frankd@yoda.fdt.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Dave Hummel <HUMMDN36@buffalostate.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Minicom caused crash

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Doug White wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Dave Hummel wrote:
>
> > This is actually the second time this has happened. Minicom caused a reboot
> > when starting up. I wasn't paying enought attention to see if it happened during
> > modem initialization, but I have a feeling it did. Now I also get "Device
> > /dev/modem locked" errors in Kermit and Minicom. My modem performs nicely under
> > dos kermit and ijjppp. Any ideas on what may have caused this? Also, how to
> > unlock modem?
>
> Make sure the permissions are ok on the device.  Make sure your user is a
> member of group 'dialer'.

Doug,

Good suggestions but I think the problem is that Dave has a stale lock
file in /var/spool/lock that won't let him access the modem. If minicom
crashed, it probably did not delete the lock file.

Frank
--
Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while a
draft dodger sleeps in the White House - anonymous