Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 19:08:46 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   dump on CD (linux only?)

| I just want to tell you that the most recent version of
| dump/restore (version 0.4b23) plus a tiny patch (see below)
| enables you to pipe the output of dump directly into
| cdrecord. This includes compression and splitting into
| chunks which fit onto a CD. The compression is quite effective,
| my 5.8 Gb root fs fits onto 2 CDs (0.65 Gb each) and
| my /usr/local fs (over 9Gb) fits onto 7 CDs (0.7 Gb each).
|
| For my 900 MHz Pentium III compression (flag -z6) is fast
| enough for my CD burner (4x). I suppose it could deliver
| data even fast enough for an (8x) burner.
| You save time and money (less CDs)
| Furthermore it supports incremental dumps.
|
| Lateron, restore can directly read the (e.g.) /dev/cdrom
| device. It's very comfortable; in its interactive mode
| you can select simple files, directory-trees or the
| full filesystem for recovery.
| For those who don't have a streamer that's a appealing
| solution.
|
| WARNING:  You DO NEED the patched version of restore on
| your favourite rescue disk to restore things if your filesystem
| containing restore has broken down.

+-----]

See
ftp://ftp.igpm.rwth-aachen.de/pub/jarausch/Dump_On_CD/Dump_on_CD.readme
and
ftp://ftp.igpm.rwth-aachen.de/pub/jarausch/Dump_On_CD/dump-04b23CD.diff

The dump that is being talk about is the one hosted at sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dump/
Project: Dump/Restore ext2fs backup utilities
OS: Linux

Apparently the modifications to dump include a new switch to let
restore work with multi-volume (non-tape) media.

Is this something that can be easily propagated to FreeBSD dump?

I'm relatively new to programming and definitely not versed at all on
C/C++ so I'm not for the task :(

Comments?

Fernan