Date:      Tue, 8 Feb 2000 20:51:55 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Dirk GOUDERS <hank@et.bocholt.fh-gelsenkirchen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is w3m?

On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 08:25:31AM +0100, Dirk GOUDERS wrote:
>=20
>  > >=20
>  > > Could anybody please tell me, what 'w3m' is?
>  > >=20
>  > >=20
>  >=20
>  > It's a text-only browser. It replaced lynx as the default text-only
>  > browser for the Doc project a while ago (ISTR the Japanese translation
>  > team said that it handled their character sets better than Lynx, or
>  > something like that). Check the -doc archives for the details.
>  >=20
>  > It is installed by the docproj meta-port, or can be found in
>  > /usr/ports/www/
>=20
> Thanks for the explanation Mark (and of course =1B$B>eNS$5$s!K=1B(B.
> I found w3m and installed it successfully.
>=20
> I also checked the Makefile for docproj and recognized, that w3m
> doesn't show up as a dependency, but still does lynx.  Does that need
> a send-pr? (Currently I cannot check the archive...)
>=20

Your ports tree is a tad out-of-date:

% cd /usr/ports/textproc/docproj
%
% egrep 'w3m|lynx|\$FreeBSD' Makefile
# $FreeBSD: ports/textproc/docproj/Makefile,v 1.20 1999/12/30 22:53:15 nik =
Exp $
                w3m:${PORTSDIR}/www/w3m \
marder-1:/usr/ports/textproc/docproj{57}%

> Dirk

--=20
	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000