Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 2013 15:45:07 +0200
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        Chao Xu <caesarxuchao@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netmap on wireless NIC

On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 04:06:35PM -0500, Chao Xu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to hacking some wireless NIC driver (carl9170 for example)
> to enable netmap on it? I guess this is possible because wireless drivers
> also manage packets using ring buffers. My goal is to access the raw
> packets as quickly as possible, not to achieve high data rate. Is there any
> argument against doing so? Thank you.

as other said, there is no negative argument but it does not
seem worthwhile, because at least with current packet rates
you should be able to extract packets using pcap.
Unless, of course, you are running a 300Mbit/s interface
on a slow embedded CPU, in which case the efficiency of
netmap might be helpful.

cheers
luigi