Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 10:57:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mikebo@tellabs.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.7-R: HP Kayak XU install problem

Greetings -
I've got a brand-new HP Kayak XU. Of course, I want to get FreeBSD
running on it ASAP, but I've run into problems installing via the
onboard HP Ethernet.

The generic boot floppy kernel comes up fine without any messing around
in the configurator, and everything looks good until I try to load the
OS over NFS. I get the following error:

lnc1: Heartbeat error -- SQE failed
lnc1: Heartbeat error -- SQE failed

Here is the kernel output re: ethernet when booting:

lnc1 <PCNet/PCI Ethenet Adapter> rev 37 int a irq 9 on pci:2:5:0
lnc1: NE2100 (C-LANCE) addr 0:60:b0:f1:59:a0

I've got NT 4.0 Service Pack 3 running on this machine, and networking
works just fine. I'm not as familiar with NT as I am with Win 95, so I'm
not sure how to get the Ethernet's IRQ, IO port and/or shared memory
configuration out of NT. Anyone know?

I'm not sure how to proceed. I searched the "questions" archive and found
that on Tue, 28 Jul 1998 13:46:04, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
wrote to Guram Mosashvili <guram@server.parliament.ge>:

> > Is it good chois HP Kayak XU??
>
> No, FreeBSD does not support it.

Just exactly what about the HP Kayak doesn't FreeBSD support? The ethernet
seems to be the only thing preventing me from proceeding. Does anyone have
any pointers to offer? Thanks!

Regards,
- Mike