Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:54:28 +0000
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
To:        Roberto Nunnari <roberto.nunnari@supsi.ch>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: patches and uname -a

--Apple-Mail-11--146920764

On 12 Jan 2006, at 12:32, Roberto Nunnari wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Please also answer to my mailbox as I'm not on the list.
>
> After upgrading by sources and build world, uname correctly
> reports the current version of the system
>
> Today for the first time I applied all the relevant patches
> instead and all went well. The box was 5.3-RELEASE-p23.
>
> The applied patches should correspond to 5.3-RELEASE-p24, but:
>
> # uname -r
> 5.3-RELEASE-p23
>
> and:
>
> # sysctl kern.version
> kern.version: FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p23 #0: Tue Jan  3 15:40:08 CET 2006
>
> I'd like to be able to see the correct version using
> 'uname -r'..
>
> Does anybody know how can you make uname report the
> real version? What if you recompile the kernel after
> patching the system? Would that do the trick?

Recompiling the kernel is the correct way to change the output of
uname(1), but before you do so, you should be aware that that patch
number is taken from the BRANCH variable in src/sys/conf/newvers.sh.
Check that it says "5.3-RELEASE-p24" before you waste time
recompiling the kernel.

Ceri

--Apple-Mail-11--146920764
	name=PGP.sig