Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 2008 07:45:12 -0500
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>, nlaroche@vt.edu
Subject:   Re: Lenovo Thinkpad t61p and FreeBSD?

--nextPart1533427.3Tut7xWMFY

On Wednesday 04 June 2008 07:25:13 am Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 11:13:27AM -0400, nlaroche@vt.edu wrote:
> > Quoting nlaroche@vt.edu:
> > >
> > > I purchased a T60p about two months ago and I haven't had any of these
> > > happen (yet?) running Ubuntu 7.10. The machine only gets slightly warm
> > > to the touch after a few hours idling.
> > >
> > > Does your fan run all the time that loud? I'm wondering if there were
> > > changes made at the factory to fix this type of problem if it was wide
> > > spread.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Nick LaRoche
> >
> > That was a T61p not a T60p
>
> It really doesn't matter in this case; T60p, T60p (widescreen), T61p,
> X60p, etc...  They all behave the same way when it comes to
> temperatures: incredibly high, sometimes to the point of the system
> shutting off (for some).

My T60p is really unusable for anything cpu intensive under FreeBSD.  Even=
=20
with the ibm acpi addons loaded and the fan set to it's highest setting it=
=20
only turns at 3700rpm, which isn't enough to keep it from shutting down due=
=20
to heat.  (eg over 100C)

I'm interested in whatever cooling solutions people have...

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB