Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 09:43:51 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>, jas@flyingfox.com (Jim Shankland), freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI again: Asus SC200 vs. Adaptec 2940

>> > I don't know if the NCR has tagged-command-queuing support or not.  If
>> > it did, I don't think I would trust it (the NCR driver is OK for
>> > workstation type stuff, as Justin pointed out, but it is known to be
>> > buggier than either the BusLogic or Adaptec drivers).

>That wasn't me who said that.  I know there have been bugs in the past with
>the NCR driver, but there have also been bugs in the aic7xxx driver too.  I
>have no idea of the current stability of the ncr driver since I don't own
>one of those cards.

It was *me* who said it. :-)

I've personally had the NCR driver die rather predictably on a
heavy-feed news server.  This is why I don't quite trust it
completely.

Which is why I say it works fine on an "average" workstation, but it
isn't quite industrial strength.

On the other hand, that was many months ago, and it's possible those
bugs have been fixed.

For what it's worth, three of the machines I have at work (all
Pentiums) have an NCR 53c8xx SCSI controller in them, running Windows
NT.  It holds up just fine when I abuse it there, so I'm sure it's not
the controller itself.  On the other other hand :-), I do believe I
get better "high-load" performance from my one machine with the
Adaptec 2940 in it, but that's also my fastest CPU.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net