Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:52:37 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        "Sergey A. Osokin" <osa@freebsd.org.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with ESS Technology Allegro-1

--==_Exmh_-1943630312P

> Hello,
> I have a problem with ESS Technology Allegro-1 on HP
> Omnibook 6100 (FreeBSD-4.7-RELEASE)
>
> >From /boot/loader.conf
> snd_maestro3_load="YES"
>
> dmesg says:
> pcm0: <ESS Technology Allegro-1> irq 5 at device 3.0 on pci2
> pcm0: unable tp allocate register device
> device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
>
> In my kernel config file i haven't pcm or other sound-device
> description. kldstat says that snd_pcm.ko successfully load
> at boot time.

Hi,

I had this exact problem with a OB 6100 in 4.4 (~Nov 2001), you might
find that thread helpful.

I tried -CURRENT of the time  both with ACPI and without (ACPI at the
time caused a crash on boot), but was unable to get both PC cards and
sound working at the same time, so I sold it to and bought a larger HDD
for my OB 6000.

IIRC, to get sound working, you'll need to use the
PCI_ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_IO_RANGE mantra (only available on -CURRENT, I
think, it's not in my -STABLE LINT config).

If you don't need many PC-CARDs, it might be helpful to know that the
internal modem on the OB6100 is a Lucent part and should work fine with
comms/ltmdm from ports - or PCMCIA support may even work now, I don't
know.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Cheers,

AS