Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:55:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net, jim@nasby.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, rivers@dignus.com
Subject:   Re: Panics & bad reads from 3.3-RELEASE install with aha2940u2w....

> "Jim C. Nasby" writes:
> > FWIW, the SCSI chipset on the P2B-DS is an aha7890; I assume it's the
> > same on the -S. Also FWIW, I had no trouble doing an FTP install on
> > a P2B-DS with different versions of FBSD and different drives.
>
> I have a P2B-S, not -DS, and its functions have been perfect. Wonder
> what I did with my 3.3-RELEASE CD's? My P2B-S has been a sacrificial
> experiment machine that I can wipe as needed. And I've been meaning to
> resize its partitions.
>
> What I haven't done is put SCSI CD's on the thing. It has two 7200 RPM
> 9G IBM 1" high UW drives on it and the non-LVD SCSI cable. Nothing is
> connected to the narrow SCSI connector on the MB.

 You mentioned that 3.2 installed just fine - I'm guessing it was
from a non-SCSI CD, or over the net.

 I just tried 3.2 (thinking maybe my 3.3 CDs were bad somehow);
got a panic just as soon as it tried to read the bin distribution.

 A net install seems like it would succeed (although, with my connectivity,
not to resoundingly fast... :-) )

 [I've got the same IBM drives, I believe... - which makes your
experiment even more interesting to me.. if you succeed, I will be
jealous :-) ]

	- Dave Rivers -