Date:      Thu, Mar 30 2000 9:34:49 GMT-0500
From:      jfreeze@qx.net
To:        Christoph Sold <so@i-clue.de>
Cc:        jim@freeze.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: FBSD + KDE + Netscape == STABLE??

Christoph:

Thanks for the reply.
My system died again last night.
And, after performing several fsck operations within the
last several days, I think my system is thoroughly
corrupted, so I started a new install this morning
after wiping the hard drive.

Your suggestion of the bad RAM may very well be the case.
Is there a way to tell for sure?

Also, let me fill you in on the hardware details and
a few of my mistakes. Then, maybe you can make a better
guess. (These are from memory, since I am sending this
from work)

CPU: 333MHz K6-2

MotherBoard: AOpen - refurb (yeah, I know. But I figured
a mb would either work or not)
RAM - 64MB - don't know the clock speed. I asked the
salesman if it was commodity (low) grade. He assured
me that it wasn't. It cost ~$60.00. For him to make a
profit, I'm thinking that it would have to be commodity
grade.

HardDrive - New 10.2GB Western Digital
CDROM - New 40x - don't know the brand

VideoCard: 8MB PA50V Aopen 2X AGP

Kernel - I modifed one line of the GENERIC kernel
to support a sound card.

device pcm0

I believe it was.

Other than the memory, I would think all the above
should be ok.

Also, xfree86 does not fully support the SiS6326 chipset
on my video card, so I had to upgrade to 3.3.6.
I think that what I downloaded from their ftp site was actually
3.3.6-current.
As I understand it now, assuming xfree86 is similar to freebsd,
I don't want the current version if stability is a problem.

The crash I had last night was an xfree86 crash.
All previous crashes were total lockups and reboots of the
system.

So, maybe I have been suffering from two problems:
flakey memory and an unstable xfree86.

For the new install, I am making sure to get
xfree86 ver 3.3.6 and not the current.

I hope this helps.
My 2 main questions are, do I have to modify the kernel
for the K6 cpu, and how would I go about verifying
flakey ram?

Thanks
Jim