Date:      Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:11:26 -0500
From:      bsdnooby <bsdnooby@optonline.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   6 hours of trying to configure my printer.

Is there an easy way to configure a printer?  I've spent over 6 hours so
far, and all I can print is 2 blank sheets of paper whenever I try to
print something.

I was using fluxbox-devel and an HP Deskhet 940c, but I also just tried
installing Gnome2 in the hopes it would have a printer config applet -
which it doesn't.

I've been trying to follow the instructions in my "FreeBSD Unleashed
(2nd ED)" book, the online FreeBSD handbook, and some online resources.
Basically, I want to be able to print from within X11 apps - like print
a webpage from within Firefox.

I'm not sure if I should be using CUPS or the lpr method, though I'm
pretty sure my printer is not a Postscript printer and I must use
Ghostsrcipt at some point.

I created some filters, installed ghostscript-gnu, made an entry in
/etc/printcap, and am running the lpd daemon.  I thought I might have
hosed my system by following too many different instructions, so I tried
to back out my changes so I could start over.  I think I got everything
back to the original state.

Any suggestions on getting a local deskjet printer to work with fluxbox
and Firefox?  I'd also like to be able to print from AbiWord and
Gnumeric, if possible.

thx