Date:      Wed, 08 May 2002 11:22:43 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Vinod <geekvinod@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: spectrum analyzer recommendation

> Tucker (www.tucker.com) has some inexpensive really old HP series, but
> they are really boatanchors.  Yet of very high quality.  I forget the
> series number.  Hameg and another company has modern ones that are a
> couple K$. (the min IF BW sucks) The real deal from Agilent costs $35K
> and up.

Yup, I bought a an Agilent spectrum analyzer for my lab for a very
similar purpose.  New, the $35K price is probably close.  For
example, the Agilent E4404B good to 6.7GHz.  There is also a
a version good through 3GHz that would probably work for the
2.4GHz ISM band.

See:
http://www.tm.agilent.com/classes/MasterServlet?view=productdatasheet&pro-ItemID=1000002788&language=eng&locale=US&FamilyTitle=ESA-E%20Series%20Portable%20Spectrum%20Analyzers&title=1

If you decide on a used version, then you should also consider the
cost of getting the calibration updated of you're making quantative
measurements which you'd like to be accurate.  You don't know where
some of the older gear has been, or how it's been treated.

> You may be able to use one of the new freq counters from
> Optoelectronics.  They are portable and have an antenna and high gain
> front end for use in sniffing out RF sources.  I hear they've been used
> at DefCon for sniffing out the FBI freq's and such.
> www.optoelectronics.com.

This won't be of much use for measuring noise floors, or even seeing
the DS spread spectrum 802.11 signal.

louie