Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 10:35:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rashid  Karimov <rashid@rk.ios.com>
To:        jds@c4systm.com (James D. Stewart)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD INN News Server.

> The plea...
>
> We are in process of converting our Usenet News server to FreeBSD. In the
> past it has been SCO Unix 3.2.4 (lots of problems), and Redhat Linux
> 1.2.13 and 2.0.10 (even more problems). When our satellite feed jumped
> from 200+ Mb/day to 800+ Mb/day, we had to do something. We already have
> a box with FreeBSD 2.0.5 that has been up constantly for almost a year
> with no problems: the only time it has ever had to be rebooted was during
> a 5 hour power outage last winter. Other than that, it has been like a
> rock! No problems what-so-ever.

	Is you really wanna do it - go with latest SNAP or the
	previous one. They've incorporated the latest stability
	changes in ahc* driver - this is absolutely crucial for
	server running INND. I'm not sure whether or not the same
	changes went into 2.1.5.

	I have Usenet server with 3 2940W SCSIs and 6 HDDs running via CCD
	and the thing is also very stable - it's up for 2 months serving
	200+ news readers in average and doing ~5 incoming/.outgoing
	feeds at once . It's very fast , even though it'd be better
	to have separate machinejust to crunch incoming feeds.

	Rashid