Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 16:57:58 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh /etc config files location..

In message <199601221259.UAA04035@jhome.DIALix.COM> Peter Wemm writes:

>I'm not complaining about this from a "security" point of view, I'm
>complaining about this from a "functionality" point of view.

Well, I accept this point of view.

>I'm not worried so much about the config files, but I am worried about the
>run-time data generated by sshd that is written to the etcdir, and I'm also
>concerned about the critical public and private host keys.  sshd_config and
>ssh_config could stay in /usr/local/etc for all I care. :-)

I remember, we plan to make /etc read-only, no runtime data should
be written there, we need to choose another place, maybe /var/run....
So, I still disagree but the reason is different...

>Exactly.. It "builds fine".  It probes to see if the tools exist, and codes
>in the exact pathnames if they are there, and puts in default pathnames
>if they are not.

It isn't acceptable for security tool, PREFIX can be != /usr/local
in general case which can cause wrong version picked from /usr/local.
So, I repeat my variant:

>>In this case they need to be controlled
>>via USE_* variables like other stuff in ssh Makefile. I.e. corresponding
>>BUILD_DEPENDS must be ifdefed.

>Why? If I dont have X11 installed on the target system (and NEVER will,
>because it's a dialup box), and hence will not have wish, and ssh does not
>need wish and will happily build without it, why should I be prevented
>from building the non-X11 port?

If you don't have X11, don't install ssh-askpass.
If you install X11 - reinstall ssh port and setenv USE_WISH before.

>As far as I can see, they are used like this:
>if "wish" on $PATH
>  WISH=`location of wish`
>else
>  WISH=/usr/local/bin/wish
>  echo "Wish not installed, ssh-askpass will not work."
>fi
>echo "#! $WISH" > ssh-askpass
>cat ssh-askpass.in >> ssh-askpass

>If you build ssh and later install wish, the ssh-askpass will then work.
>It's a runtime dependency, not a BUILD_DEPENDS.

It isn't acceptable to guess path for security tools,
path must be exact. Better way is reinstall ssh when additional
soft will be available.

The same words about perl5 & ssh-make-known-hosts,
ether path must be known exactly or this script must not be installed.

There is yet one problem related to this: building package (PLIST),
it is unclear does it must have minimal ssh scripts set.

>Hmm, I just re-ran the "make" to build the port. I can see that there
>are a few things that "configure" has got wrong...

>It should also use the system libgmp and the zlib port rather than
>building it's own....

Ssh may depends of libgmp/zlib version used. Configure even
not tries to find them in the system.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -