Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 22:20:24 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Reynoldus Lamuri <rlamuri@it.ntu.edu.au>, FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        se@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kde screensaver problem

Cc'ing the port's maintainer.

Doug wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Reynoldus Lamuri wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just noticed that when installing kde-1.1.2 that all the screensavers in "/usr/local/bin/*.kss" was not install setuid root.
> > I noticed this after locking the screen and I couldn't log back in.
> > Does anyone remember if kde-1.1.1 have all the screensavers setuid root?
>
>         yes, they all were. Interestingly, the other program in
> /usr/local/bin that lost its suid bit is klock, which I think is the
> actual culprit to not being able to log back in. I faced this same problem
> myself, and haven't had time to dig into it yet.
>
>         If I didn't have so much on my desktop currently running I'd test
> it, but you might want to try restoring the suid bit to klock and see if
> that helps.

	Ok, suid'ing klock didn't help, but suid'ing the screen saver did allow
me to log back in. Now I'm kind of curious as to why the suid bit would
be required, and why ALL of the screen savers would have to be suid, not
just one "log me back in" program. However I don't have time to pursue
this right now, so anyone who's interested, take off with it.

Doug
--
"My mama told me, my mama said, 'don't cry.' She said, 'you're too young
a man

    - John Belushi as "Joliet" Jake Blues, "I Don't Know"