Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 1995 20:19:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      jfieber@cs.smith.edu (John Fieber)
To:        jerryk@indy.net (Jerry Kelley)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mosaic problem

Jerry Kelley writes:
> I'm afraid I already know the answer to this question but I'll ask anyway.
> I've fired up Mosaic under XFree86 and when I launch, I get a boatload of
> warnings about key translations in the Xterm window where I launched.
> Mosaic does run but using the keyboard is almost impossible.  My guess is
> that I'm missing some Motif libraries.  Is that the case?

Assuming a statically linked binary, no.  It is just a matter of
Mosaic not finding the XKeysymDB file which, on your system,
lives in either /usr/X386/lib/X11 or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11.  I don't
recall for sure and can't verify it at the moment, but suspect
that Mosaic might be looking for it in /usr/lib/X11.  Try `ln -s
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11 /usr/lib/X11' and see if that fixes it.

> (BTW, I am going to try Netscape.  I use it on my Windows machine (please
> don't hate me) and it works great.  But I'm still a fan of Mosaic and NCSA
> and wanted to give it a fair shot.)

Netscape works dandy on FreeBSD 2.x.

> "If Bill Gates can do it, ANYONE can do it!  And I mean that!"

You just have to abandon all respect for anything that doesn't
result in personal gain.

-john