Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 22:12:38 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Bernie <Bernie_X@myrealbox.com>
Subject:   Re: filesystem full, but still going(?) - newbie

Thus spake Mathieu Arnold <arn_mat@club-internet.fr>:
> Bernie wrote:
> > df showed the following:
> > /usr counts negative...
> >
> > so, what happens here? is it taking space from other filesystem
> > to do the job? and for how long will that go?
> >
> # tunefs -p /usr
> tunefs: minimum percentage of free space: (-m)             8%
> tunefs: optimization preference: (-o)                      time
>
> you (and I) have 8% by default allocated to root
> use tunefs -m 2 /usr to reclaim some space.

By the way, setting minfree to less than 5% forces optimization for
space, which will ``greatly increase the overhead for file writes''
according to tunefs(8).  This may or may not be what you want.  Also
keep in mind that when some daemons that typically run as root run out
of disk space, Bad Things can happen.

> do i have to stop the 'make'? seems to be carying on ok...

No, it will stop by itself if you're really out of space.  But since
you're running `make' as root, you have access to that 8% buffer and
you do not have a problem.  When the build completes, type `make
clean' to remove the object files created by the build, or `make
distclean' to remove the original tarballs.  You might consider
running `make -DNO_DEPENDS' clean' from /usr/ports to clean up after
all of your past installs.