Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:57:32 -0500
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cc -pthread and -kthread switches

On Fri, Apr 09, 1999 at 07:19:30PM +1000, John Birrell wrote:

> Yuk. Please don't corrupt FreeBSD with Linux. By all means help to make
> FreeBSD provide a compatibility mode to run Linux executables, but leave
> FreeBSD as FreeBSD. If people want to _develop_ Linux applications, let
> the run _Linux_. And for those of us who choose to use _FreeBSD_,
> allow us to live in a Linux and Microsoft free zone.

The linuxthreads "port" is simply intended to provide native
FreeBSD one-to-one kernel threads.  It isn't Linux.  Its just
a port of some Linux code.

My position is, and has always been, that the existence of the
port is intended as a stop-gap measure until FreeBSD has its
own kernel threads code.  When that happens, I would asssume
the need for the port would evaporate, and certainly my
support of it would evaporate.

You and I have corresponded privately, and I have offered my
assistance in creating a FreeBSD kernel threads implementation.
As I have indicated to you, as well as to Julian, I don't
think I'm the right person to lead this effort, since there
are technical issues involved with "many-to-many" kernel threads
that I don't fully understand how to resolve, yet.  But, I'd
certainly be willing to be an active contributor to this
project.

On another note, the recent changes to the FreeBSD user
pthreads code, which you committed on about March 22,
appears to be a major improvement in this code.  On my
very crude benchmarks, the linuxthreads port used to
beat the heck out of the uthread code.  This is no longer
true.  Most tests show them about equal, except that uthread
context switches are now much faster than the linuxthreads code,
as they should be (before March 22 uthread was slower).

It strikes me that the uthread code seems to be in pretty good
shape now, and would be a nice foundation for a FreeBSD kernel
threads implementation.

--
Richard Seaman, Jr.           email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 414-367-5450