Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:53:07 +0200
From:      Stefan Walter <dunkelkammer@gmx.de>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: input from /dev/audio broken ?

Chuck T., 22.06.02, 15:22h:

> I've been trying to get speakfreely to run under FreeBSD 4.5 and/or 4.6
> release without luck.  Speakfreely receives and plays audio and sends audio
> from a file without problem.  But when I try to use the microphone I get
> >95% distortion.

I have never been able to make speakfreely work properly since I first
tried it with FreeBSD 4.1 or 4.2; AFAIK, it never worked with the pcm
driver (corrections welcome) - at least not with my AWE64.
Telling sfmike to play sound files and sending text messages works fine,
but it hangs as soon as i press a key to use the microphone (C-c doesn't
work, I have to kill the process).

> I *think* the problem is associated with /dev/audio.  If I 'cat /dev/dsp >
> /dev/dsp' the echo sounds fine.  When I attempt the same with /dev/audio I
> hear the same distored echo as when I run speak freely.

I'd be happy if I heard _anything_. ;)

> I get the same results under 4.6 except that the audio device stays busy
> after the cat so I get only once try per boot.

Same here.

Stefan
--
No reading beyond this point