Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 20:06:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Terence Kelly <tpkelly@eecs.umich.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   big RAM & pthreads on FreeBSD

I'm considering replacing Linux with FreeBSD on a
computer I use, but first I have a few questions.
(I searched the man pages and FAQ available at
your Web site, but didn't find answers.)

  1. My 4-CPU machine has 2 GB of RAM.  Does the
     latest stable SMP kernel support that much
     memory?  In other words, can a single
     user-level process access all of that RAM?
     (I write memory-intensive simulation code
     and I can't afford to page/swap.)

  2. Does the SMP kernel support multithreading
     in roughly the same way as Solaris, Linux,
     etc. via POSIX threads?  I'm accustomed to
     a programming model in which the OS
     automagically assigns pthreads to processors
     and the threads run concurrently.  My pthreaded
     code does what I expect on IRIX, Solaris, and
     Linux.  Will I get the same general behavior
     from FreeBSD?

Thanks in advance for your help!