Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 15:07:35 -0700
From:      Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
To:        Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 mouse?

On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 04:10:26PM -0500, Ted Sikora wrote:
> My problem is a little different. XFree86-4.0 loads
> fine looks great but the mouse does not work. There
> are no errors. I tried PS/2 , serial, etc same with
> them all. The pointer appears then moves to the upper
> right and dissappers. I tried moving it...Mouse1, etc.
> but nothing Any ideas?

Yeah, I have it working under -CURRENT:

XFree86 Version 4.0 / X Window System
Release Date: 8 March 2000
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
        than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
        problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT i386 [ELF]

[snip]

(==) Mouse1: Protocol: "Auto"
(**) Mouse1: Core Pointer
(==) Mouse1: Buttons: 3

Relevant config in XF86Config:

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"

If you don't specify a protocol, XF86-4 will auto-probe the device and
should pick it up no problem. This particular problem is mentioned in the
documentation for XFree86 4.0 by the way, as well as how to resolve it. I
should also note I didn't build mine from the ports (the port wasn't
available when I built it) but from the raw source.