Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 10:54:35 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Michael Gray <mtg@dmi.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS Server

On Fri, 27 March 1998 at 17:07:02 -0800, Michael Gray wrote:
> Hi FreeBSD,
> 	I have been considerring building a DNS server. I have been told, this
> is a $20k endeavor

What domain are you planning to serve?  .com?  .org?  .edu?  Then yes,
it could come even more expensive.  dmi.net?  You could do that with
an old 386 with 8 MB of memory.

> and is very complicated to maintain.

Not true.

> I noticed in my FreeBSD manual that you mention adding DNS services
> to the server without much fanfare.
> 	What does it really take? What options are actually available and what
> type of machine requirements are there?

You can either buy an O'Reilly book (DNS and BIND if you want the real
low-down, TCP/IP Network Administration if you want to understand it),
or "The Complete FreeBSD", second edition
(http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm), which covers most
normal DNS setups and a lot of other stuff beside.

Greg