Date:      Wed, 05 Jul 2000 21:48:16 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Lysenko Alexey Victorovich <rainbow@inter-trade.dn.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I need Your advice

> Lysenko Alexey Victorovich wrote:
>
> Dear People from FreeBSD org !
>
> I'm Alexey Lysenko from Ukraine.
>
>    Please, tell me the main designation and the difference between
> FreeBSD Unix 3.5(June !) and 4.0 (March)? Why not 3.4 -> 3.5 -> 4.0 ?

That's because FreeBSD Maintains two different versions at all time, in
time of big changes event three versions are maintained in parallel. All
this can be found explained in great length in the FreeBSD handbook (now
in print, a very nice Thing To Have Now), also available at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/.

To put a long story short:

FreeBSD-5.0 is the CURRENT version. Developers put their changes in this
version without notice. This leads to problems, which will be removed as
development proceeds.

FreeBSD-4.0 (and soon, FreeBSD-4.1) is the STABLE version. In this code
base, only known bugs are fixed, and enhancements are merged from
5.0-CURRENT only after thorught testing.

FreeBSD-3.5 is the final release of the previous version: there are
still a lot of 3.x boxes in production, and you cannot update 3.x -> 4.x
without reboot. Thus, those boxes will remain 3.x, and 3.5 is the last
release which is supported.

Whats that complicated scheme about? In fact, it's pretty simple.
There's a developer version, where all the coders work. During that, the
system may become unstable. No good if you like a production
environment. That's what stable is for: a stable production environment.
After a period of development, the code gurus declare the CURRENT
version frozen, and only bugs will be fixed there. Then current becomes
the new stable, a new current thread will be opened, and the just
obsoleted old stable thread will still be maintained until the dust
settled on the fresh stable version: the x.0 release is usually not as
stable as stable was before.

Sorry for the explanations length. Watch the production cycle one more
time, and you'll understand fully.

HTH
-Christoph Sold