Date:      Wed, 05 Jun 2002 19:30:47 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        Mark Miller <joup@bigfoot.com>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BootMgr with Win2k?

6/5/2002 5:53:07 PM, Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com> wrote:

>In the last episode (Jun 05), Mark Miller said:
>>
>> I recently reinstalled my Win2k partition, and it appears that it
>> overwrote the boot manager sector.  What's the easiest way to get
this
>> back?  Also, how can I change the names that the boot manager
displays?
>> Before, I got something like
>>
>> F1: ????
>> F2: FreeBSD
>> F5: Disk1
>>
>> I'd like to have it look like
>>
>> F1: Win2k
>> F2: FreeBSD 5.0
>> F5: FreeBSD 4.6
>
>boot0 can't do this; it's only a 512-byte program.  There's not enough
>space for fancy prompts.  If you want custom menus, try grub (in
>ports).  It's very flexible and has a full-screen menu.
>
>--
>	Dan Nelson
>	dnelson@allantgroup.com

As someone once pointed out to me, if it can write the ?????? then it
has enough room to write 'W2K' or 'Win2K.'  But you'd have to get into
the bootloader source and revise it to output what you want rather than
'?????' when it encounters a Type 7 filesystem.  (OS/2's HPFS,
Windows' NTFS, and I believe QNX's filesystem all show up as Type 7 -
the bootloader can't tell which, so it outputs '?????.')

Short of that, use grub or Win2K's bootloader.

Re your other question, boot from the install floppies or the fixit CD and
reinstall the FreeBSD boot manager; or just write a normal MBR if you
want to use grub, then install grub from /usr/ports/sysutils/grub.  If you
want to use Win2K's bootloader, follow the directions in the FAQ at the
FreeBSD web site.

Jud