Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:41:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      backyard <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restoring FreeBSD grub loader

--- "Ivan \"Rambius\" Ivanov"
<rambiusparkisanius@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed FreeBSD 6.1 on one machine with grub
> boot loader. In the
> beginning there was only one entry in grub - namely
> FreeBSD. Later, I
> had to install Windows XP on the machine and of
> course, it destroyed
> grub and now I cannot boot FreeBSD.
>
> I tried with booting from the FreeBSD installation
> disk choosing Fixit
> option, but I could not use successfully
> grub-install command.
>
> My question is: how can I restore the FreeBSD grub
> loader? Could you
> please give me any hints or advance. Thank you very
> much in advance.
>
> Regards
> Ivan
>
> --

I would suggest you make a grub booting floppy disk
then you can escape to command mode once the disk
loades and install grub with

root (hd0,0,a)   # or wherever it is
setup (hd0       # again wherever it is

assuming you have already placed the grub bootfiles on
your hard drive and configured menu.lst you should be
all set. I have only encountered one computer this
method failed.

you could alternatively flip the kernel tunable that
allows raw writes to the boot sectors of the disks. I
don't recall what it is but I think the grub docs talk
about it in the man or info pages.

I'm supprised XP messed it up, 2000 seemed to respect
existing bootloaders...

-brian