Date:      15 Apr 1998 21:32:02 -0500
From:      sfarrell+lists@farrell.org
To:        "Kevin Liquori" <kliquori@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports and Packages

"Kevin Liquori" <kliquori@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> What's the difference between ports and packages? I saw the information on
> the website but I'm still a bit confused. Are ports full versions of
> programs or do they just convert them for FreeBSD use?

Packages are compiled ports.  So with ports you need to actually do
the compiling (though it *should* go very smoothly since the required
patches will have been applied); with packages you just install (with
pkg_add).  The advantage to ports is that they are more
current... sometimes packages can be quite out of date.  also there
are not as many packages as there are ports for the same reason.

--

Steve Farrell