Date:      Mon, 01 Jun 1998 18:14:46 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Atsushi Murai <amurai@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libutil libutil.h logwtmp.c src/usr.bin/login login.c

Atsushi Murai wrote:
> amurai      1998/06/01 01:47:05 PDT
>   Trim a domain part for wtmp as same as showed by "netstat -r".
>   Here is a some example for avoiding a confusion.

Incidently, I think we should double the UT_HOSTNAME length as well.  That
means we end up with a 64 byte utmp record instead of the original 32 byte
record in 2.x.  BSDI also doubled the UT_HOSTNAME field, if we followed
then we'd have compatable utmp/wtmp files again, and BSD/OS binaries could
read ours too.

I'm not sure I want to go through _another_ utmp record size change again
though..... :-(

I might also add that I think utmp/wtmp is a horrible hack.  It would be
great if it could be redesigned with a real API for reading/writing it. It
would be nice to have a SYSV/Linux/Xopen/Unix98 compatable API too. A
utmp.conf file might also be nice if it could configure the record sizes.

Alternatively, perhaps use a DB utmp.db file with variable record sizes
keyed on hashed tty name.  wtmp.db would need something more space
efficient than a hash method file and would need to maintain sequence,
perhaps the btree DB method?  As long as there was a get/put{u,w}tmp style
API and logwtmp(), then that should cover most incompatability problems.
Since libutil is shared, we could update that library and it would
automatically update many of the utmp-using binaries to use the new format.

Sigh, oh the things that could be done with infinite spare time... :-)

Cheers,
-Peter