Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 01:39:31 -0500
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>, bwoods2@uswest.net, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Subject:   Re: kdelibs port broken?

Donn Miller wrote:

> So, I installed Gtk in /usr/local/lib, as that is its "natural"
> place.  I built Gtk from ports initially, and Mozilla couldn't find
> it, because it was expected in /usr/local.  Instead, it was in
> /usr/X11R6.  Why?  Every non-port expects Gtk in /usr/local.  That's
> certainly where *I* expected it.  It's in the natural scheme of
> things.

One comment:  for me, it's no big deal;  I just comment out the Gtk
dependencies line in the port's makefile so it doesn't try to install
an additional instance of Gtk into /usr/X11R6/lib.  I think
Gtk-dependent ports should try to compile a test Gtk-versionX.XX
program to see if Gtk is installed someplace.  The way it stands now,
if we don't have Gtk registered as an installed port or package, it
will download Gtk, compile, and install it.  So, I believe gtk
dependent ports should try compiling a test program, or it should try
looking for the libs in $LOCALBASE before "writing off" gtk as "not
installed" just because it's not registered as installed.  Remember,
we want to be flexibile with those guys who may want to
compile/install gtk (or other software) on our own.  (What if we want
to build the cvs version?  We may want to bypass ports on some things,
for whatever reason.  We shouldn't try to force people into conforming
to the ports maintainer's idea of doing things.)

Sorry to be beating you all down on Gtk -- I was just making an
example of it for the sake of illustration.

> So, I think it's OK to "give" a little on violating hier.  Nothing in
> this world is perfect.  Some of us like to maximize compatibility with
> other "strange" stuff.  As for violating hier, I think it's OK to use
> a little "fuzzines" factor in doing so (e.g. kde, qt, netscape, etc.).

I just wanted to clarify this a little.  I think the "fuzzines" factor
should apply to /usr/local, but not necessarily /usr.  My reasoning is
that /usr/local isn't part of the main system - /bin /usr/bin, etc.,
so it's OK to have a little freedom in /usr/local.  Hier should be
more strictly followed in /usr.  But, let's be a little more flexible
with /usr/local, as it's really "none of the operating system's
business" what we put in there.

- Donn