Date:      Sun, 04 Jan 1998 13:16:38 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
Cc:        freebsd@atipa.com (Atipa), multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gack, again! 3DFX cards.

> According to Atipa:
> >
> > I heard people complaining about the performance of the Voodoo Rush. I'd
> > return that card and get a Moster or somesuch, since you are using the
> > 2nd slot anyhow. You'd also save some money.
>
> The performance of Voodoo is lousy. It can't handle a single 3D operation
> (in a window). Voodoo rush can handle lots. Therefor the rush has much better
> performace. :-) :-)  Quake isn't the ONLY thing you can use 3D accelerators
> for, ya know. Loosing a little fps in fullscreen can easilly be worth it if
> you gain it back elsewhere (VRLM, etc).
>
> Not that that has any real support under XFree86, though. :-(

As you stated the the performance of the Rush is 0 in FreeBSD however
we do have support for Voodoo based boards.

The recommendation was clear : get a Voodoo based board similar
to Diamond Monster 3D . I know about Rush boards , Permedia etc...
which we don't have 3D support in FreeBSD.

> Anyone know if there are any plans to build in openGL or something,
> in XFree86? Personally I want something like X11 with OpenGL support and

Yes, there are plans to provide 3D support in Xfree86 using Mesa .

> "setenv AUDIO" support.

We already have that and is NCD's nas which works rather well on FreeBSD in
fact I use it alot to listen to my voice mail messages. NCD's nas was ported
to FreeBSD about 3 years ago.

We should be able to render VRML in a window using Voodoo based boards
just read about it in the Mesa web page.

	Amancio