Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 18:06:15 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@nwu.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fetching distfiles off-site

"David J. Kanter" wrote:

> My FreeBSD box has only a 56K modem, but I have access to non-BSD machines
> that have T1 lines. I'd like to use those machines to download the larger
> distfiles, and transfer them onto my BSD machine with a Zip disk.
>
> How can I interpret the Makefile of a port to ensure that I get all the
> appropriate distfiles? Just look at the DISTFILES, BUILD_DEPENDS, and
> RUN_DEPENDS?

It is all in there; however, I would start with the /usr/ports/INDEX.
That has the version the build will look for and it is all very
conviently spelled out. The files listed are usually the large files.
The problem is the T1 machines, if they are some of those
unmentionable ones :), can mangle the file name on the download. For
example, xxx-1_0.tar.gz can become xxx-1_0_tar.gz and you have to move
it into your distfile directory and change the name to the proper one.
If you have the 4-cd set (vol-3 and 4 for the source) and mount it
before you do the install, the 56kb modem isn't that bad for the
fill-in stuff.

Kent

> --
> David Kanter