Date:      21 Aug 1999 00:24:27 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4 seriel ports

Morten Seeberg <morten@seeberg.dk> wrote:

> Hi, AFAIR it is possible on x86 systems (or atleast windows and dos :) ) to
> have 4 serial ports, which share 2 IRQs??

Sure. The Am386 box I'm typing this on has four serial ports on a
single IRQ using an AST Fourport clone. In fact, your question
reminds me of a Cyclades eight-port card that I need to ask back
from somebody else. You just need the right *hardware*.

> (I have 2 onboard serieal ports and an xtra I/O card.

Nope. I'm not aware of onboard serial ports being able to share
IRQs, although this should be the most simple case. Simple I/O
cards usually can't share IRQs between their ports either. Sharing
over the ISA bus is completely out. You need specially designed
cards, such as AST Fourports and clones, Vision Systems' 4Com or
similar, or cards with ports entirely unlike the 8250-derived
COM-type ones such as the Cyclades, Stallion, and Rocketport ones.

> How is this done on BSD?

See sio(4) and the various drivers for the non-COM-type special
multi-port cards. I haven't actually used any multi-port cards
under BSD yet, but I'm going to eventually, and the information
seems to be there.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de