Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 2020 11:18:04 +0200
From:      Guido Falsi <madpilot@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xfce4 using 100% cpu

On 01/04/20 17:41, tech-lists wrote:
> Hi
>
> context is:
>
> 12.1-stable r359156, amd64
> xorg-7.7_3
> xorg-server-1.20.8,1
> xfce4-wm-4.14.0_1
> xfce4-desktop-4.14.2
> nvidia-driver-440.64
>
> the graphics card is NVIDIA GPU GeForce GT 640 (GK107) with 2GB RAM
>
> For some reason, xfce4 (and *only* xfce4) is always at 100% CPU.
> Other window manager environments don't have this effect. For example
> windowmaker. When invoking with xinit, top shows Xorg using 100%. So I'm
> unsure if it's xfce4 alone or some xorg <-> xfce4 interaction.
>
> xinit launches xfce4 like this:
>
> [snip]
> exec ck-launch-session startxfce4
> [/snip]
>
> How can I go about fixing or even debugging this? xfce4 is otherwise
> smooth,
> fast

I'd try launching xfce usfing a different command: "startxfce4
--with-ck-launch". In this way it will be xfce launching it's own
consolekit session. Also not running it through "exec" could slightly
influence things.

You could also use truss(1) to look at what is happening. It's noisy,
but very detailed. To launch it you should modify startxfce4 to launch
the Xorg server through truss and redirect output.

BTW have you had a look at Xorg log files in /var/log? Maybe you could
find something there too.

--
Guido Falsi <madpilot@freebsd.org>