Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:03:28 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Andrew Gould <andrewlylegould@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: maybe OT, but involves OOO its slideshow fmt, ``Impress''

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:47:44AM -0500, Andrew Gould wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Peter Ulrich Kruppa
> <ulrich@pukruppa.net>wrote:
>
> > Am Mittwoch, den 22.04.2009, 00:23 -0700 schrieb Gary Kline:
> > >       In any case, there are
> > >       two questions for this list.
> > >       The first, obviously, is subjective and is:
> > >       would having my stuff in slideshow fmt gain me a wider readership?
> > Yes. Any sort of attractive presentation will draw more attention to
> > your content than ordinary text without any pictures or animations.
> >
> > >       The
> > >       second is:  anybody out there willing to clue me in on this stuff?
> > I have always made very good experiences with technical questions of all
> > kind on this list. Regarding your contents or lay-out and design there
> > probably are better forums.
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Uli.
> > >       gary
> > >

> It is very difficult to convey concepts or ideas with any complexity with
> slides alone.  Usually, slides should accompany and complement a
> presentation.

	I understand that much, and I have at least one file of preamble
	"chatter" per section.  Some sections have 4 or 5 preamble
	mumblings that offer the user///reader a clue re my thinking.
	One thing I never forgot was that we all take away a slightly
	different set of concepts from what we read or see on the tube.
	Even from a painting or photo.  My chatter/mumblings are only my
	ideas, my guidelines.  I was surprised when my daughter drew
	something completely different from one thing I wrote.

> If the document must stand alone (no speech, etc), and the content is of any
> complexity, I would advise not using slides.
>
> For anyone using slides, I recommend the following book by Garr Reynolds:
> "Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery"

	Thanks for the pointer.  I googled Reynolds' website and see that
	his book is available thru amazon.com.    this opens a whole new
	field of opportunity... .

	gary

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix