Date:      Thu, 21 May 2009 16:30:10 GMT
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/134757: 32 bit processes on 64 bit platforms occasionally drop core with bad ds reg

The following reply was made to PR amd64/134757; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Cc: Stephen Sanders <ssanders@opnet.com>,
 freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 12:21:00 -0400

 On Wednesday 20 May 2009 11:52:45 am Stephen Sanders wrote:

 > >Number:         134757
 > >Category:       amd64
 > >Synopsis:       32 bit processes on 64 bit platforms occasionally drop core
 with bad  ds reg
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       non-critical
 > With fair regularity, we have 32 bit processes dropping core on 64 bit
 systems.  In particular perl and bash.

 > Our system is definitely a hybrid but that aspect appears to not be the
 issue.  The system works properly more than not.

 > I have attached a file containing 2 gdb sessions. One session is looking at
 a core that bash left behind and the other is looking at a bash session with
 no core.

 Have you tested this on 7 at all?  At this point most developers are probably
 much more inclined to fix this for 8.0 and 7.x rather than 6.x.

 --
 John Baldwin