Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 19:22:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Siegbert Baude <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partitioning

On 28-Jun-00 Siegbert Baude wrote:

> Is this a *boot* problem for FreeBSD only, or is FreeBSD unable to put ufs
> in a logical disc at all?
> Is it possible to use for example /dev/ad0s9 for a FreeBSD-Filesystem?

It's a boot problem.  Specifically, boot1 and boot2.

>> >Actually, current can now boot from anywhere, and I'll probably be able
>> >to MFC this to 4.1
>
> So all limitiations with regard to using logical discs in 4.0 stable will
> have removed within a few weeks ? (mid of July 4.1 was announced, I think)

No, not quite.  The 1024 cylinder limitation on the root partition will
disappear.  However, in 4.1 it will probably only work with the standard
boot manager.  boot0 (the one that lets you choose different operating systems
at boot time) probably won't be in the 4.x line because fixing it breaks a
lot of other things.