Date:      Thu, 26 Nov 1998 09:25:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      Graey <slayer@luvewe.ops.us.eglobe.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't get ppp to work.

Dual booted win95/fbsd2.2.6.  Acer p166.  Rockwell p&p 33.6 modem internal
built in set on com port 1 (in windows at least, and it shows up as cuaa0
in bsd). I downloaded and installed the src.uue file that changed the
libdes to allow me to use PPP.  I can't get it to dial out.  The modem is
already set to cuaa1 and all the other modem parameters are set correctly
(parity etc).  I get into ppp and can 'show modem' and things are correct.
However, when I type term, it just sits there showing me to type ~? for
help, which I can do.  I can't type anything else, or if anything is being
inputted, I get no echo on the screen.  I've tried going through the
proper commands (at, atdt5555555) and just waiting to see if it did work
and I'm just not seeing it, and nothing happens even 5 minutes later.  No
sound from the modem, no output on the screen, etc.  My hosts and
host.conf file are (according to examples in the FAQ and confirmed by
people on the various freebsd channels on several irc networks) correct
and I can ping myself, but I'm told that wouldn't affect the modem not
working anyway.  Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?  What more
information do I need to post to get more help?  I've been trying to get
this one specific problem fixed for about 36 hours now.  I'll upgrade to
the current version of freebsd when I get a chance, but I need to get
online with it first.  If I need any specific files to help out I can get
them but they'll have to fit on a 3.5" floppy.  Please respond post
haste if you think you can help, I'm at my wit's end.

Thank you.

- Graey