Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 17:46:23 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@freebsd.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Improved libcrypt ready for testing

On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 11:13:53PM +0930, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> > Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > > I have the SRP reference implementation working at home - it
> > > requires changes to clients, though.
> >
> > Does it require changes to clients in order to be used as a normal
> > password hash, not to do challenges against?  I can't remember
> > anything about it that would force that?
>
> SRP stores a salt and "verifier" (essentially just the hash of the password
> taken as an exponent of a large integer modulo another large integer)
>
> As an interim measure, this could be used as just another hash
> algorithm like any other which is queried by cleartext passwords,
> but obviously you wouldn't want to be querying some services using
> SRP and others using the plaintext of the same password.

I disagree.  In my opinion, you would obviously want to - to give a
simple example, I'm willing to type my plaintext password at a login
prompt, but I'm not willing to transfer it in the clear using POP3.

> I should have time this weekend to knock this up together with some
> of the changes discussed so far in this thread.
>
> The simplest way to SRP-ify an application is probably to make both
> client and server talk PAM and use the pam_srp module (which I
> haven't checked out yet).

This is the next step after actually having the SRP password hashes in
the database in the first place :)

Eivind.