Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:45:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lee J Carmichael <lcarmich@wamnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   network interface problem

Hello Everyone,

I am having a problem with a network interface driver for a netfinity
4500R. The ethernet interface on this box is a AMD PCnet chip set(at least
AMD). The issue is that ethernet interface is detected correctly on the
PCI bus, but it logs the following message in dmesg:

lnc0: <PCNet/PCI Ethernet adapter> port 0x2000-0x201f mem
0xfeb7fc00-0xfeb71c1f irq 11 at device 2.0 on pci0
lnc0: driver is using old-style compatability shims

I edited the kernel config to only have:

device lnc0 # without the ?isa parameters

and, I tried

device lnc  # like other pci ethernet devices

I did read through both '/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/if_lnc.c' and
'/usr/src/sys/i386/pci/if_lnc_p.c'. But they didn't yield anything
helpful.  This could be due to my lack of understanding with how these
drivers are loaded at boot time.

One last piece of info, in my /etc/rc.conf file, I have:

network_interfaces="lo0 lnc0"
ifconfig_lnc0="inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

Not that this really matters, since it just generates a 'lnc0 interface
not found' or something like that.

Any Ideas? Thanks for the help, in advance.
--------
Lee Carmichael		WAM!NET Inc.
System Engineer		655 Lone Oak Rd Building E
651-256-5292		Eagan, MN 55121